Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Out of the hotel for good!

For the first time in two years, I will not stay in a hotel this week!


My new digs are in the Parkhurst neighborhood. I was set up with a friend of a friend (thank you Ross..) who had an extra room in his house; the place is fantastic. There are four of us that live here, Nic Van Zyl, his girlfriend Harriet Lowe, and Mike McLeod. Nic and Mike are both South African and have a great group of friends in Jo'burg. Harriet, a British, and Nic started dating at Oxford and she has been living in South Africa for a few months. Parkhurst is a fun and young neighborhood with lots of restaurants and shops. The weather is warming up here and the jacarandas are in full bloom... which has made for a great transition to Saffa and a more settled feeling.


Home sweet home...24 7th Street, Parkhurst, Johannesburg (24/7).


Home Sweet Home!


As you undoubtedly noticed, everything here is walled, and serious walls they are, complete with iron spikes on top and electrical wire above that. The front gate opens into common area with a pool and braai (BBQ).


Pool
Courtyard

Inside the main house are three bedrooms, a large common room, and nice kitchen. 

Living Room
Kitchen

I have an entire wing to myself. Behind the house is a guest cottage with a kitchenette, bedroom, bathroom, and small open space.

Guest House (my quarters)

We have alternated nights to cook. I think I reminded everyone of mexican food when I arrived and we have made a thing of burrito monday (with the makeshift mexican ingredients we can find). Mike is lazy and most likely defaults and grabs sushi at the local Kung-Fu Chinese/Japanese place where you can stuff yourself for less than ten US dollars. Harriet, the only proper cook on the lot, has made some delicious roasts and my lasagna was a hit (thanks mom!).


No comments:

Post a Comment