Wednesday, March 9, 2011

(Ir)rationality and Relationships: New York for a Day


Of the many character traits I have been bestowed with (all positive), two that seem to come up often are rationality and spontaneity.


Those two were not able to coexist last weekend when I bought a last minute ticket to New York. After Courtney's obligatory, "you're an idiot," line I think she was rather excited!! One point for spontaneity.

I left after work on Friday on a 7:50pm flight and arrived at 7:20am (20 minutes early..bonus time!) putting the first leg's travel time at 18 hours and 30 minutes. The second leg departed Sunday morning at 10:40am and landed at 8:40am, 15 hours. For those of you keeping count, the outbound plus inbound flight times had me in transit for 33 hours and 30 minutes, while my duration in New York was 27 hours and 20 minutes. Zero points for rationality.

CP picked me up and dropped me off at the airport, so I think it's fair to count all my time in NYC. I told her I was to arrive and the rest was on her... 24 hours on CP. Sounds scary, I know, but we had a great time. We had brunch in the West Village, explored Tribeca, shopped in Soho, ate an incredible dinner at Marc Forgione, and Courtney even tried HOT coffee!! That in itself is a successful trip.

All in all it was a great weekend and the randomness of it made it that much more special. After exhausting all the movies offered by South African Airways I arrived back at work on Monday with a smug smile and listened to others talk of the typical weekend jaunts.

No comments:

Post a Comment