Sunday, June 19, 2011

Permission to Work

Poor resource planning and corporate waste had me back on a plane to New York within a week of returning to South Africa. My visa was set to expire at the end of May and it had to be renewed in the States. No complaints from my end.... that's 15,934 United miles and two weeks in New York with Courtney (more importantly).

I hurriedly got my paperwork prepared and sent off to the Embassy. I worked South African hours again and rose early. I found out that New York actually does sleep and the city is peaceful and tranquil at dawn.

Again, I got the chance to explore the West Village's many coffee shops. I spent a lot of time at 'SNice: a vegan coffee shop with big tables, free wi-fi, and a constant flow of traffic. Courtney isn't fond of the always agitated barista, but I find it comfortable nonetheless. When I needed a breakfast to boot, I would head to Cafe Minerva: great coffee, excellent pancakes, free wi-fi, quieter spot with a little West Village pomp.

Over the weekend Courtney and I got a gracious invite to Abby and Arnaud's wedding in Philadelphia. A&A were always welcoming and inclusive while I worked in Philly and this was just one more example of their hospitality. The wedding was at the Union League Club downtown and we were lucky enough to also stay at the associated Inn. The Chiverton's threw an amazing party and it was great to catch up with all the families and friends. I don't think I had seen Evan since I said we parted ways in Italy in March '09! Crazy how the time flies.

Arnaud (front middle) and me (front right) after rec game from Spring '09

On Sunday Mom, Dad, Courtney, and I took to Bolt bus back up to New York to pass the afternoon before my parents headed to Paris. We spent the afternoon walking the High Line Park and exploring the shops in the Chelsea Market. That evening we ate at my favorite small restaurant in the West Village, Westville (be sure to get the Mac and Cheese). Afterward, we bid my parents a quick farewell only to reunite four days later in Johannesburg.

Courtney and I were cramming trying to get ready for our trip which had us working early in my case and late in her's but we paused to celebrate my birthday on Wednesday. I grabbed some bday drinks with Drew and Lindsay before meeting up with Courtney. She took me out to Buddakan and we stuffed ourselves to the brim only then forced the almond bread pudding with maple butterscotch, bananas, and whiskey ice cream dessert down on top.

The break was short lived as both of us worked through the night to get ready to travel. My real birthday present was getting on that plane to South Africa where Courtney and I would arrive from New York, Brad and Pepere from Frankfurt, and Mom and Dad from Paris for ten days of exploring the country I've been calling home.






Side Note: May marks another important milestone, not only was it a celebration of my birthday month but it marks four years of post school life. I have now spent more time in my professional life than in high school or college.

No comments:

Post a Comment