Monday, June 13, 2011

South African Silly Season

I used another company flyback to get to the States for the week around Easter. In South Africa, April is filled with bank holidays on the 22, 25, 27, and May 2nd. The first two are Good Friday and Easter Monday... I don't know about the others and neither do the locals. Of course, no one is arguing about the ability to take three days off for a two week vacation. It's aptly called "Silly Season".


First stop, Becky's wedding in Phoenix. I took the overnight flight to New York, met Courtney in the airport, and we made the last leg of the journey together. I fell asleep on a plane in Joburg and woke up half a world away in Arizona, pretty incredible when you think about. The wedding was fabulous; congratulations to Beckers and Conan! I also got a chance to get some well needed pool time, dance to the unbelievable band, and hang with the fam including my first witness of Drewbear walking.


From Arizona, I headed home for the week. Sonce this portion happened before the holiday binge, I worked South African hours from Alamo.... Finally getting a glimpse of my dad's life at 4am (now I know why he falls asleep on the couch at night). The old crew also made a special effort to get out to the city for a great night on the town. Dined at Perry's per usual.


I flew most of the day Thursday to Chicago to meet up with Courtney's family for Easter. Friday, Cammie, Courtney's younger sister, had company box tickets to the Cubs game... uh-MAY-zing! It was a rainy day, but who is really watching the game when there's a nachos bar and free beer in the suite. There is really nothing like a Friday day game at Wrigley, even in the rain. After the game we stayed downtown and went to Second City comedy club (I hadn't heard of it either, but it's about as famous as it gets with almost all the SNL stars making their start here). Great night the oldest three sisters (Courtney, Cammie, Caity), Caity's boyfriend Carter (who's tall but not that tall), and even Braden made a surprise appearance.


Saturday was filled with Easter baking, subsequent consuming and ultimately lounging.


Festive Bunny Cake
Decorating cupcakes... "Wahoowa"
Easter Bunny at brunch
Banagrams... didn't think the engineer could spell, did you!?
Carter, Me, Courtney, Caity


Easter Sunday we went to church, the Country Club for brunch, and enjoyed Mr. Patterson's pork and ribs in the evening. The extended family joined for dinner and I found a new friend in Courtney's seven year old cousin Kiley. In an effort to limit international calling, I resorted to giving her my email address.


Me and my new friend Kiley
Kiley asked for my email


Monday morning Courtney and I headed to New York. Still being "silly season" in South Africa I spent most of my time sitting in coffee shops in the West Village and pestering Courtney to leave work.

No comments:

Post a Comment