Saturday, May 19, 2012

13 Days Left in Maryland

Ahhh, the first post! So here it goes... I just want to give you all a quick outline of my trip details because I have gotten quite a few questions about when I am leaving, when I get back and what I will be doing.  Also, although I am naive, I realize that Swaziland is not the most well known country so I will share a little bit about where exactly  I have signed up to go.  & Maybe, if you're lucky, I might even begin to share a little bit of my heart with you.

IMPORTANT DATES
  • June 1st: Leaving the comfort of  home in Maryland.
    Arriving in Georgia to meet my beautiful teammates and attend training camp for 4 days.
  • June 5th: 17 hour flight into South Africa with ground transportation into Swaziland.
  • July 28th: Arrive back in Georgia and spend one last night with my teammates
  • July 29th:  Home Sweet Home.

WHAT WILL I BE DOING?
  • Volunteering at 4 different "Care Points" - feeding, loving and sharing about Jesus with the children, leading church services, building infrastructure & anything else that comes up.
  • Street Ministry - telling the locals about Jesus and building relationships with the people in the community through service. 
  • Hospital Visitation - meeting sick Swazi people, praying with them, ministering to them, and loving them in what could be their last moments in this world before the Lord calls them HOME. 
  • Spreading the Love of God to His People!!! (young, old, sick, healthy, black, white, rich, poor & everyone in between)
Swaziland has the highest HIV infection rate in the world and 64% of all deaths in the country are due to HIV/AIDS.  The Swazi people have the lowest life expectancy in the world at 32 years old which leaves a large number of children orphaned (about 20% of the population).  An estimated 15,000 households in Swaziland are headed by children who have the responsibility of not only themselves but also their siblings and potentially even sick/dying parents. 

These are the people I am burdened to help.  
These are the hands I cannot wait to hold. 
These are the mouths I cannot wait to feed.
These are the eyes I cannot wait to dry.
These are the bodies I cannot wait to snuggle.
These are the faces I cannot wait to kiss.
These are the souls I already LOVE.  

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me." 
Isaiah 6:8

No comments:

Post a Comment