Monday, May 28, 2012

Stand Up

Last night at church I was brought to the front of the congregation, sat in a chair, and surrounded by pastors, deacons, and loved ones as I was prayed over for my upcoming trip. I was blessed to have my mom, stepdad, and grandmother come to the service as well. They do not regularly attend Pleasant View with me so having them there was a wonderful gift.
The time of prayer brought about a whirlwind of emotions for me. As I was surrounded by godly men of the church, Pastor felt burdened to ask my father to join us at the front of the congregation. I mean I did tell him that my parents were there, he just didn't know that I call my step-parents my "parents" as well. So when Pastor called my dad up to be with me, the tears started to fall. My dad wasn't there. Was I going to have to explain that to the entire church? I felt like i was being stood up on one of the most important nights of my life and everyone was watching.
You see, my church doesn't know my family. They know me and they know two of my siblings who were baptized with me last summer. My mom and stepdad attended for our baptism as well but this was only their second visit.
So when Pastor called my dad up, although I felt embarrassment, all eyes were on Steve. Was he supposed to stand up and say "I'm not her father," or was he supposed to walk down the aisle and stand by my side? There was not a doubt in my mind what he would do in the situation and my tears of sadness immediately became tears of gratitude, appreciation and happiness. Steve stood up in the back of the church and walked the long aisle to stand by my side and take my hand. That takes courage. That takes love.

 I know that the devil does not want me to go on this mission trip. At times it feels like he just won't get off of my back. Last night was just another moment where the devil tried to make me feel insignificant. Fortunately, God is so much greater than the devil is and that was shown to me when the Lord stood up next to my stepdad and walked him down the aisle to be with me. The devil could have kept Steve sitting back there by whispering lies to him, but God would not allow that to happen. God knew how important this night was to me and he would not allow me to be abandoned at the foot of His cross. The memory of last night will stay with me forever. Though my stepdad has provided for me in many ways: emotionally, financially, materialistic ally, physically... Etc, our relationship grew immeasureably as he provided for my spiritual well being last night. I could never thank him enough for taking on the responsibility that he did and without hesitating. Pastor had no idea what God was about to use his words to do for my life and for my relationship with my stepdad. God never ceases to amaze me.
"We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honorable, but we are despised." 1Corinthians 4:10

No comments:

Post a Comment