Sunday, May 27, 2012

Last Weekend at Home


What a weekend!!  J

I spent the weekend at Bushkill Falls with my Mom, Stepdad, and siblings as our last bit of “family time” before I head out.  I could not have asked for a better weekend with them.  Once we finally made it, in what seemed like a year, we checked into our villa, unpacked and went out for dinner at a place in town.  Little did we know… we locked ourselves out because you aren’t actually supposed to lock the door when you leave (who would have know that!?)  Needless to say, we learned our lesson about locking the door. Saturday morning was spent hiking around the waterfalls for 3 hours.  Between the 6 of us we have close to eleventy-billion pictures. Seriously though, spending the morning with my family, enjoying God’s creation, exercising, laughing, and loving each other was incredible. As soon as we finish editing the “documentary” that we filmed I will be sure to post it on here.

After hiking we went on a trail ride which was Joey’s first time on a horse.  He did pretty well for being a newbie.  As we were riding it began to thunder and just as we turned the corner to head back to the barn it began to rain.  By the time we got off of the horses and headed back to the car it was POURING. It was almost perfect timing, but it could have been worse that’s for sure.
Sunday morning we woke up and headed home; of course that turned into an adventure as well. We had breakfast in town at a small family restaurant that was soooo good. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day so I was happy to have some crepes with fresh strawberries.  Brooke on the other hand ordered an omelet.  Somehow they forgot to put on their menus that their omelets are 8 egg omelets!!! But I still wonder… what is the point of ordering a veggie omelet to be "healthy" if it is made with 8 eggs anyway?  

Now that we were all in food-comas, Steve decided that on the way home we should stop at Crystal Cavebecause it was one of the places that he wanted to go as a family this summer. (Mind you his list also included places like Roadside America.) So halfway home we stopped for this tour. Forty-five minutes later it was over. Don’t get me wrong, it was definitely pretty interesting however when you’re standing under a fault line and you’re told, “This is the weakest part of the cave, if we have an earthquake it will collapse,” that doesn’t really set the best mood for the rest of the tour.  Not to mention, the people who were also on the tour with us were not very fond of my sarcasm… or my accent.

By the time we finally got home I had successful spent two days speaking in an awful accent that was driving everyone insane.  Thankfully they love me because otherwise I probably would not have survived the weekend.  How they put up with me, I’ll never know. Let’s just pray that my team for Africa can handle my obnoxious and ornery self as well as my family can.

I am really glad that my mom and Steve planned this weekend for us to get together and spend time just as a family.  These days our lives are so packed with different things that we do not spend a whole lot of quality time together.  This weekend was a nice time to reconnect and just remind each other of how much we do love one another (no matter how annoying I can be). 

I love my family the way Jesus taught me to love and it is my continual prayer that one day we will live out the scripture together…
"And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve ; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell : but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."  Joshua 24:15

No comments:

Post a Comment