Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4th of July


Well it is day 2 of having this “blog.” And I honestly have nothing to really say...but in light of it being the 4th of July, I’m sure I can come up with something. So what has my first 4th of July been like in my new country? Well it seems like just another day in Swaziland. I tried to spice it up by wearing a ridiculous patriotic outfit. This includes bright red skinny leg jeans, a blue and white stripped fitted T with a red brim (forever21), white and blue shoes (part of my high school uniform) and a navy leather jacket! I know it sounds super cute doesn’t it??? Well, it doesn’t look nearly as bad as it sounds...but I’m not sure it looks great either?
Okay...so 4th of July in Swaziland
So far I have found two Americans and one British lady sporting the similar attire. Well, the British lady claims she is celebrating the day “we got rid of all those Americans.” Whatever...she totally wants to be American J
Musa refused to put such an outfit together. But I’m pretty sure that has to do with the fact that he woke up to me singing the national anthem.  And let’s just say it wasn’t my best performance! I mean literally it was the first words out of my mouth. So you can only imagine how gross and crackish it sounds.  I decided to march around in hopes of taking the focus off my terrible sounding voice.
Okay so I went to work and everything seemed great...in one meeting a fellow American joined in singing “O Beautiful” but that’s about it. To be honest...we didn’t even make it to the main part..you know America ..America...God’s...something?
No parades and no ridiculous decor (excluding my awesome outfit), No American flags and no patriotic music. I guess next year I will have to go all out! POOR MUSA! I’m sure he can add this day to his crazy American wife list. But think about it for a moment? I’m sure many of my customs are quite strange to him! I decorate the house during seasons and I wear crazy outfits on random days. It’s all quite new for him but it adds to the joy of getting to know each other’s culture.
I wonder what my future children are going to think about all the customs incorporated into the Masinga household.  Lastly, it is 5:36 pm and soon we will be at a good ole’ American bbq to finish off this year’s Independence day. I’ll have to fill you in on that later! Praise God for missionaries!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment