Thursday, July 12, 2012

Ameeerrrica!

Electric gate, back yard, swimming pool, tile floor, two bathrooms INSIDE, running water, furnished living room... yes this is still Swaziland. And this is the house that we went to for a cookout to celebrate Freedom!! Two missionary families live in a gorgeous house in Manzini and they invited us over to share in their 4th of July festivities with other American missionaries. We are REAL food: pulled pork bbq sandwiches, chips, brownies, cupcakes and there was even ICE for the drinks! I could not believe that it was real life! After we ate, we sat with our feet dangling into the empty pool and watched fireworks while singing songs (loudly) and loving being obnoxious Americans. As we went to leave we were confronted by the Swazi police.  Apparently our fireworks were not visible enough and they thought we had guns. Once they found out that it was only fireworks they left with no problems and we headed for home.  The entire way home we danced and sang in the van to "give me the beat boys and free my soul, I want to get lost in your rock & roll and drift away..." Many voices were raspy by the time we made it back home.  I mean just imagine, 22 American girls, crammed in 1 van (just one) screaming Drift Away at the top of their lungs for a solid 45 minutes. My ears are ringing and a headache is starting just at the thought.
Being American attracts quite a bit of attention here as I'm sure one can imagine.  For the most part the people in the village are very sweet and gracious of our mission.  The city - that's a totally different story.  White skin makes babies cry, men fall in love and greed run ramped among street merchants. White skin immediately gives visions to the people of either ghosts, weddings or money. I cannot tell you how many times I've been proposed to by these men.  I have two ways that I get out of the proposal, either I tell them that I am already married (which makes me feel bad because it's a lie) or I simply tell them that it will cost 700 cows and they leave me alone. Both strategies are equally as effective.
Moral of the story... being American means a lot more to me now that I have removed myself from the States and I have been able to talk to people here about their lack of freedom and their dreams of living in America.  I could not imagine a life without the freedom & hope of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment