Saturday, June 23, 2012

Sway to the Rhythm of LOVE

Thursday morning I spent some quality time with my ukulele.  Sitting on a pile of cinder blocks, I taught myself to play "Set a Fire."  I played and I sang to the love of my life... Jesus!

"There's no place I'd rather be, than here in your love. So set a fire down in my soul that I can't contain that I can't control.  I want more of you, God!"

Eyes closed, I stopped to pray and thank God for the beautiful day that he gave me and the ability to sit here in Afrika worshiping Him and loving Him. I didn't have time to get the words our though because as I was worshiping, a small crowd of school kids had gathered on the outside of the fence to my home and as I finished playing they began applauding the "performance".  I thanked them and they went on their way.  I prayed and began to play again.  This time, three kids came inside of the fence and gathered around me asking, "borrow me?" Of course I let each of them play and watched their faces light up as they strummed away to their own little rhythms. Each different, each beautiful.

The kids walked with us to the Care Point (they had been on their way when they had stopped to hear my play).  Along the way I was playing and walking with my girls and each group of kids we passed wanted to play.  I let a few of the older ones and watching them try to figure it out was cute.   They kept asking me who made it.  They wanted to know if I made it.  They did not understand that in America you don't have to make anything for yourself. You can just walk into a store or click a few buttons and on the computer and anything you want is yours.  This culture is breaking me (in a good way).

I got there and I sat down on a rock under the single tree in the front of the church and once again began to strum whatever came to mind.  The kids swarmed me and a million little hands were trying to strum and turn the tuning pegs and each one pleaded, "borrow me?!"  I was hesitant at first and then God moved me to let each one of them have their turn to play.  I must say, I was amazed at how much English the kids knew when they were about to get something that they wanted.  They all understood, "sit down, wait your turn and each of you will get to play."  Crazy how that works - I now know how my parents felt when I was little and I pretended not to know what they were saying. (Sorry mom and dad!)

Music is breaking down many barriers. Building the foundations of many friendships.  And changing lives.
I love having my ukulele here.  I love hearing the kids try to play.  I love Swaziland's children.

No comments:

Post a Comment