Thursday, June 28, 2012

Team Timbutini

Soccer - Football - Same Thing

It's official. I am being registered for the Timbutini men's soccer team!
On the way to do some construction last week I talked to our host (lelo) about getting a few girls together to play against his soccer team once or twice a week.  He thought it was a great idea and was really excited that we were interested in playing soccer with the guys.
Sunday, I did not go to church because I wasn't feeling well. Nothing too bad, my body is probably just trying to adjust to my new "diet"and I need to drink more water for sure.  Anyways, later in the day I decided that it was time to get out of bed and touch out the stomach cramping. As always, I did my hulk dismount off of my top bunk, put on my running shorts and my vibrams and went for a run.  When I reached the church I stopped to do a short plyo workout.  I was off to the side of the soccer field Lelo's team was playing on .  The coach came over to talk to me and naturally I ended up joining the game.

When I say that I was off to the side of the field, what I really should have said is that I was off to the side of a large plot of dirt, covered in rocks of all sizes, poop from various animals, ruts from trucks and car tires, wooden poles set up as goals (no nets), and a single faint line on one side of the dirt for a "sideline."

Now remember what I said I was wearing?... VIBRAMS! One of the first times that I got the ball, I set up to send a cross to the other side of the field and although I had great American form, I did not take the rocks into account.  On the follow through, I slammed my pointed toe into a huge rock. ahhhh! ouch!  Immediately, pain rushed to my big toe. I thought for sure that it was either broken or bleeding.  I know for a fact that it was not bleeding, but I cannot be sure about the broken part... it still hurts.  I had to suck it up and continue playing though because there was no way that I was goign to be the weak little American girl that can't hold her own against 22 Swazi men (who might I add are insanely talented).  This was a week ago and I still have visible bruises from sprinting on the rocks.
Oh well, I went to practice again this week and today I am in town to buy a pair of cleats.  I figure if it's going to be official, I should have cleats so that I can attempt to grip the dirt and rocks a little better.  I was told that I need to be registered officially because  this coming Sunday is the "most crucial game of the season." BOOM!!! 

The language barrier makes communicating with my teammates a bit difficult but we each know enough of the others language to make it work. I look forward to training with my team each night and I am stoked for the game this weekend! When I am away from the homestead  I hear people call my name (I go by both Casie & Cassie here is Swaziland)  and I always wonder how these people know me.  Well, I found out this past week - they are my teammates that I keep running into!  I hope that I an learn all of their names too - that is my goal by the end of July. 

Pray for us & Cheer for us!  Team Timbutini.. GET IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment