Monday, September 17, 2012

Week 3- Early Childhood Nursing in Africa


Today at section 19 I felt like an early intervention nurse.  One of the ladies had a sick three month old baby so she led me into her room in the migrant camp.  I listened to his chest and let her listen, and explained that nose she heard was coming from his nose rather than his chest.  I tried to explain in simple terms the difference between a virus and a bacteria.  He was a cute alert, happy baby.  While we were talking, another woman brought her 4 month old who is HiV positive and also had a virus.  I reassured them that both babies looked good and were eating well. 

    Talking about this in the car with Corine later, I realized the importance of reassuring these moms who have seen so much death.  The first mother, is a health motivator; she knows about health and illness, but when it comes to her own baby there is still a lot of uncertainty.  He is HIV negative and so is she even though she has buried several husbands.  But, it is difficult in the midst of so much death not to have that fear that your child is ill.  It is not something she would ask me.  I’m trying to learn to answer the questions that aren’t asked, and to provide comfort in the moment.  I’m not sure what the future holds for this tiny person but today he is strong and alert relatively healthy.

     Baby Boto is walking at 10 mos.  I yelled out the window of the car at her and her mom Bongiwe, and clapped to celebrate.  We need to celebrate the small victories in section 19, babies growing and developing and meeting milestones and staying healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment